Welcome to the Student Resource section. Here you will find links to various resources to support your own literacy and language development.
Resources for Students
- Learning English-BBC Learning English award-winning site, with news resources for students, vocabulary-building exercises, a daily audio serial (The Flatmates), community boards, and more.
- Phonic Genius – Great app to teach phonic awareness
- Newsela – Leveled authentic newspaper articles.
- Storyline Online – Stories read by actors; read and view them!
- Starfall – Free site to teach the basics of reading. Features interactive books and phonics games
- Epic – Book subscription service that offers thousands of high-quality books from well known publishers like HarperCollins and National Geographic
- OpeneBooks – a partnership between Digital Public Library of America, The New York Public Library, and First Book, and is part of the White House ConnectED Initiative
- Unite for Literacy – a social enterprise that provides digital access to picture books, narrated in immigrant and indigenous languages.
- Oxford Owl -offers 100 free ebooks that range from simple level-reader stories to more complex titles and layouts, such as “How to Build a Castle”. Each book is prefaced with guidance for teachers and parents, explaining the reading skills emphasized in the story. The book ends with more guidance for discussion and reading comprehension questions.
- Between the Lions – Great resource for videos that focus on different phonics sounds from short vowels, long, vowels, diphthongs, and digraphs
- Reading Bear – is a collection of free, well-made, multimedia phonics presentations. Targeted by sound.
- Kids Phonics – Interactive books help children practice their phonics skills.
- ABCYA – Reading games and Apps for Kids.
- Story Nory – A collection stories with audio recordings from around the word including Chinese Fables. Great way to make connections for students.
- BBC Phonics – Great resources for traditional rhymes when working on phonemic awareness
- Writing Tips and Activities
- Check out English 4 U’s great writing resource site. It’s got solid tips on punctuation and how to set up essays and presentations.
- visuwords.com – online graphical dictionary – gives concordances and relationships between words.
- Language Guide – audio picture galleries, organized by topic. Click on images to see and hear words.
- 123 listening.com provides different free worksheet formats and conversational audio clips in relation to different general topics (e.g. colors, animals, daily routines)
- English Club – great resource for listening to news
- Scholastic: Study jams – find over 200 Jams on topics like The Universe , listen to songs about Landforms , and test yourself on concepts like Range
- Khan Academy – Learn for free about math, art, computer programming, economics, physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, finance, history, and more
- MobyMax – self-paced learning via a variety of subjects
- MathAids – free math worksheets for teachers, parents, students, and home schoolers